- We join the celebration of World Environment Day making visible the importance of sustainable development.
- Concrete and measurable actions that allow us to advance towards the Sustainable Development Goals.
For several years, ZAL Port has been committed to sustainability by conducting actions that lets us to advance towards the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) established by the UN. For this reason, we join, once again, the celebration of World Environment Day (June 5), making visible the importance of sustainable development towards building a better world and minimizing our ecological footprint.
In 2016 we approved our First Strategic Environmental Plan that led us to obtain different certifications such as the ISO 14001 environmental management system, among others. In 2019 we renewed and intensified our commitment with the Strategic Plan for Corporate Social Responsibility (2019-20-21), which has as its central axis the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals. With sustainability being our priority, our concrete and measurable actions are focused on the following SDGs:
- Goal 6: efficient use of water resources
- Goal 7: efficient energy management
- Goal 11: for a sustainable mobility
- Goal 13: fight against climate change
Concrete and measurable actions: Green Logistics
During 2020 the investment of CILSA – ZAL Port’s managing company – in environment has been almost 1.2 million euros. This investment has enabled us to certify three new buildings according to the strict eco-efficiency standards of the LEED certification granted by the US Green Building Council. Since 2016, all the new promotions of ZAL Port are built under these standards, becoming one of our main actions for the environment. So far, five warehouses have obtained the LEED certificate, more precisely in the Gold Category. At the present, two more warehouses are in the process of obtaining it.
With the aim of reducing emissions caused by mobility, since the beginning of 2020 all ZAL Port’s service vehicles are electric. In addition, to reduce traffic density and concentration at peak hours, we have implemented an entrance control system, we have expanded the lanes and we have built a new entry (with a total investment of 570, 000 euros). The arrival of the metro’s L10, which is expected this year, will be a step forward in that regard.
With the goal of efficient energy management, we have replaced LEDs and skylights in the warehouses and in the Service Center building. On this matter it is also important to note that since 2018, we have not emitted CO2 related to electricity consumption since 100% of the energy is provided by renewable sources.
Our environmental actions do not end here. Some other examples of green logistics:
- The trees and green areas have been replaced and expanded.
- We have implemented a better control of irrigation water consumption, reducing the m³ consumed by almost 13%. In addition, we are studying the possibility of reducing the lawn areas and replacing it with a Mediterranean garden.
- The EU chose ZAL Port for its largestdecontamination project, iSCAPE. The objective of this project is to integrate and promote the control of air quality and carbon emissions in European cities.
In conclusion, concrete actions to minimize our ecological footprint and to continue to grow in a sustainable way, thus benefiting our customers, but also the city and our surroundings. Our commitment to the Sustainable Development Goals is measurable and comparable.
Do you want to know more? Check the 2020 Sustainability Report